75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE
DIOCESE OF YOUNGSTOWN
In Thanksgiving to Almighty God
Throughout the Anniversary Year, a variety of events and activities will take place. In displaying the diocesan Coat of Arms, several people have asked “what does it mean?”. Although it is almost always seen joined together with the personal Coat of Arms of the Diocesan Bishop. On occasions marking the Diocese itself, it is displayed standing alone, as illustrated above. Here is a brief description of our Diocesan Coat of Arms. The coat of arms of the Diocese of Youngstown are composed of a green field on which is displayed a silver wavy bar (called a fess) to represent the Mahoning River that flows through the See City. Upon the wavy fess are two green arrowheads to honor the Native American peoples that first inhabited the area that is now Youngstown and a cross pommetté. The green cross pommetté is taken from the arms of the Diocese of Cleveland, from which the Diocese of Youngstown was carved on May 15, 1943. This separation of the new diocese is further symbolized by the golden dove placed in the arms above the wavy fess. The word dove in Latin is "columba," and is taken from the arms of Pope Pius XII, who created the new diocese. It additionally honors the titular of the cathedral church in the See City. Below the wavy fess is a golden anvil to honor, represent and acknowledge the industrial landscape that is northeastern Ohio. From time to time, we will include different facts and bits of interest about the diocese in the bulletin. Thank you.